[OpenAFS] 'split' a tree of directory into volumes?

Todd M. Lewis Todd_Lewis@unc.edu
Mon, 09 Feb 2004 14:51:06 -0500

Lester Barrows wrote:
> [... good stuff about 'up' not preserving directory timestamps...]
>
> It seems to work as-is, but begs the question: If it's that easy, do you (or
> does anyone) know why this isn't done already?

Sure: Nobody's contributed the code.  Seriously.  When I added the bits
to make it aware of mount points, I had a particular itch to scratch
that day.  The fact that directory time stamps weren't preserved just
didn't itch me then, and evidently hasn't bothered anybody else enough
to do something about it...

...until you came along, of course!  I'm looking forward to your
patches.  :-)

> Is there a reason that in
> general we don't want to preserve directory timestamps when duplicating a
> directory? Or is it possible for this to somehow blow up on me in an obscure
> fashion? :-)

I can't think of any reason not to preserve timestamps. OTOH, I couldn't
imagine why you'd ever want the old, non-mount point aware behavior
either, but I made it an option with the old behavior as the default
anyway. I guess that was not to surprise either one of the regular 'up'
users who might have a script that depends on the old behavior. I still
can't decide if that was a mistake.

Does 'up' preserve timestamps on files? If so, it should preserve them
on directories too. My opinion, ymmv, etc.  Cheers,

> Regards,
>
> Lester Barrows
> Asani Solutions, LLC
> Code IC Systems Group
> NASA Ames Research Center
> Voice: 650-604-2639
   / Todd_Lewis@unc.edu  919-962-5273  http://www.unc.edu/~utoddl /
  /       A gossip is someone with a great sense of rumor.       /