[OpenAFS] OpenAFS & Linux kernel 2.6: please have a trackable bug report / task ?

Timothee Besset ttimo@idsoftware.com
Tue, 17 Feb 2004 17:25:16 +0100

Derek Atkins wrote:

>Andreas <andreas@netbank.com.br> writes:
>

>>I second that. I was just waiting for openafs to have a clean krb5 support
>>and was caught by surprise by the lack of support in the 2.6 kernel.
>>Any idea how long it would take? A year perhaps?
>>

>Is someone willing to fund the work?  The hardest problem is that the
>2.6 kernel removed all the hooks that AFS used to link into the
>kernel's system-call table.  This was used to:
>
>1) Install the afs_syscall function pointer, and
>2) Take over the setgroups() system call to handle PAGs
>
>Without these two hooks AFS needs to:
>
>a) rewrite all the pioctl calls to use a different method, and
>b) figure out a new way to handle PAGs.
>
>So this will be a lot of work unless someone can figure out how to
>hook into the sys_call_table again.
>
>-derek

Well .. I went through the archives and saw the explanations about what
has changed and why it doesn't work anymore. Can't say I can directly
help though, be it by funding or by providing developer time. It's a bit
unsettling that AFS supports so many operation systems - even windows! -
and that just Linux 2.4 -> 2.6 would kill it.

I just think at this point some kind of official statement on the
website would be the best thing to do. So that people at least know
what's going on and what to expect.

TTimo