[OpenAFS] OpenAFS & Linux kernel 2.6: please have a trackable bug report / task ?

Derek Atkins warlord@MIT.EDU
Tue, 17 Feb 2004 12:10:36 -0500

Frank Burkhardt <fbo2@gmx.net> writes:

> Is it complicated to rewrite those 2 hooks just for AFS
> (a little kernel-patch) or is there an OpenAFS-policy demanding
> not to change the kernel-sources at all?

We don't want to force people to rebuild their kernel in order to
use AFS.  That has ALWAYS been a design goal, even when I did the
first Linux-AFS port of AFS 3.3 back, oh, ten years ago.  The problem
here is that the kernel gatekeepers wont accept an "only-for-AFS"
patch.

> Frank

-derek