[OpenAFS] OpenAFS & Linux kernel 2.6: please have a trackable bug report / task ?

Todd M. Lewis Todd_Lewis@unc.edu
Wed, 18 Feb 2004 07:59:55 -0500

Horst Birthelmer wrote:
>> Is it complicated to rewrite those 2 hooks just for AFS (a little
>> kernel-patch) or is there an OpenAFS-policy demanding not to change
>> the kernel-sources at all?
>

> It's neither complicated nor is there any 'codec' (at least I'm not
> knowing of). BUT how many people you know they would install some
> 'dubious' kernel patch (that was the way the ppc64 patch was called
> by some people) just to run AFS??

It isn't "just to run AFS", it's to run 2.6.  AFS is not an option for
me; if I can't run AFS/OpenAFS there's no point in my turning on the
computer.

Sure, I'd prefer to run OpenAFS on the latest stock kernel. If I can't
do that, then if I had the choice between running OpenAFS on a modified
2.6 or a stock 2.4, well, at least I've got a choice.

As it stands, there's nothing to choose: run 2.4, period.

It may be instructive to play with different ways of incorporating
OpenAFS into 2.6.  On the other hand, it's hard to imaging a method of
making PAGs behave correctly other than through the groups mechanism.
The semantics are just right. So right in fact, that it should be
generalized. Don't think of PAGs as a bag-on-the-side of the groups
mechanism, but rather implement group inheritance through a generalized
PAG mechanism.

Linus likes to generalize whenever it makes sense, so AFS PAGs will have
to play nice with NFS4 PAGs to get into his kernel. It occurs to me that
the inherited process uid is just a poor man's (though efficiently
implemented) credential that should be handled through a real PAG
mechanism like any other cred.  Maybe the new Linux generalized PAG
mechanism will need to handle local credentials the same as remotely
authenticated creds.  Just a thought...
   / Todd_Lewis@unc.edu  919-962-5273  http://www.unc.edu/~utoddl /
  /      A man's home is his castle, in a manor of speaking.     /