[OpenAFS] OpenAFS & Linux kernel 2.6: please have a trackable bug report / task ?

ted creedon tcreedon@easystreet.com
Wed, 18 Feb 2004 11:19:10 -0800

AFS is a killer app if you need worldwide file access without hackers and
with system redundancy.

tedc
-----Original Message-----
From: openafs-info-admin@openafs.org [mailto:openafs-info-admin@openafs.org]
On Behalf Of Mitch Collinsworth
Sent: Wednesday, February 18, 2004 5:24 AM
To: Todd M. Lewis
Cc: OpenAFS-info@openafs.org
Subject: Re: [OpenAFS] OpenAFS & Linux kernel 2.6: please have a trackable
bug report / task ?

On Wed, 18 Feb 2004, Todd M. Lewis wrote:

> Sure, I'd prefer to run OpenAFS on the latest stock kernel. If I can't
> do that, then if I had the choice between running OpenAFS on a modified
> 2.6 or a stock 2.4, well, at least I've got a choice.
>
> As it stands, there's nothing to choose: run 2.4, period.

That logic works for a while.  But eventually you reach a point
where some other application comes along that you have to support
and it only runs on the newer kernel.  Then when the choice comes
down to either OpenAFS or the application that gets your users'
work done, see which your management and users tell you they must
have and which they're willing to let go of.

If this problem isn't solved, eventually folks will either say
"then we'll just do without AFS" or "then we'll just do without
Linux".  Neither AFS or Linux is a "killer app" in most end users'
eyes.

-Mitch