[OpenAFS] OpenAFS & Linux kernel 2.6: please have a trackable bug report / task ?

Derek Atkins warlord@MIT.EDU
Thu, 19 Feb 2004 09:27:11 -0500

Holger Brueckner <lists@net-labs.de> writes:

> who really uses a standard kernel except desktop people ?

*raises his hand*

I use a standard (RHL) kernel on all my machines.  Why?  Why not?
It's easier to update, easier to install, and it works just fine for
me.  In fact, ALL of MIT's machines use the standard kernel because
it's easier to update automatically.

> these people for sure won't use afs themselves, since its not that easy

BZZT.  Think again.

> to configure or maintain. you even have to rebuild afs kernel modules
> each time there is a kernel security upgrade and probably ever admin who
> is capable of rebuilding the kernel modules is capable of building his
> own kernel.

Who has to rebuild the kernel modules?  You have one person build an RPM
with the modules and it _JUST WORKS_.

-derek