[OpenAFS] Connection Timeout problem

Roberto Polli rpolli@to.alespazio.it
Thu, 19 Feb 2004 17:10:40 +0100

Hi All,
I'm experiencing troubles on openAFS.
I installe openAFS on :
* alpha/linux debian woody & kernel 2.4.24 built from scratch (linus
sources) with
		-nfs(d) builtin
		-devfs builtin

* ia64/redhat AS & kernel 2.4.18-e.12smp   [only afs client ]

* openafs-1.2.11 built from source from www.openafs.org.
Compilation process was ok.

My machine is net-booted from nfs/dhcp/tftp but it shouldn't matter.

I set up the afs server and client using the "quick"-start guide and
everything went EXACTLY as expected, except that I used a minimal
CellServDB file.
Created the root.afs and root.cell on the /vicepa partition
with
#vos create myserver /vicepa root.afs
and then
#vos create myserver /vicepa root.cell

I run the
/etc/init.d/afs start
and no errors are given.

The /etc/vice/cache has its own partition of 500Mb and gets (for now) 50Mb;

When copying,editing or creating non-empty  files to my afs volumes I
get a "connection timeout" error.
I already tried to restart all afs services but without success

Ex.
localhost:/afs/my.domain.it/alpha_linux# dd if=/dev/zero of=./test
bs=1024 count=3
3+0 records in
3+0 records out
localhost:/afs/my.domain.it/alpha_linux# dd if=/dev/zero of=./test
bs=1024 count=4
4+0 records in
4+0 records out
dd: closing output file `./test': Connection timed out
localhost:/afs/my.domain.it/alpha_linux# fs examine /afs/my.domain.it/
fs:'/afs/my.domain.it/': Connection timed out

Some minutes later everything seems to work  (as the
#fs examine /afs/my.domain.it
shows)  but issuing again the dd command the error returns.

Using a redhat AS/ia64 client I get the same messages. Furthermore after
a bad /etc/init.d/afs stop I must reboot the machine because there are
unkillable processes like [afs_xxxxxxxxx]

Do someone know anything about it?
Thanks in advance,
	Roberto