[OpenAFS] OpenAFS & Linux kernel 2.6: please have a trackablebug report / task ?

Tino Schwarze openafs-info.lists@tisc.de
Thu, 19 Feb 2004 18:30:12 +0100

On Thu, Feb 19, 2004 at 11:18:06AM -0600, Douglas E. Engert wrote:

> I see quite a few sites are interested in OpenAFS and Linux 2.6 Kernel.
> Any chance an open letter from the AFS user community to the Linux developers
> signed by some of the larger sites, could have any impact? Or is it too
> late. So far it sounds like the discussion has been just internal to the
> developers.

No, this does not help. The Linux-kernel people are usually immune to
politics. They mainly follow technical interests. This has advantages,
but also disadvantages (this time for OpenAFS... ).

Actually, they tend to get upset if someone comes along with petitions
or stuff like that. The opinion goes like: If you want it, implement it
in a way we like it (technically speaking) and it'll be included.

Bye, Tino.