[OpenAFS] OpenAFS & Linux kernel 2.6: please have a trackable bug report / task ?

Nick Burrett nick@dsvr.co.uk
Thu, 19 Feb 2004 09:50:42 +0000

Russ Allbery wrote:
> Lester Barrows <barrows@email.arc.nasa.gov> writes:
>

>>That's true, but I'd have to believe that a vendor such as Redhat will
>>include the option to secure their distribution to the best of their
>>ability. This would be particularly true with an enterprise OS vendor as
>>their customers will demand it. At the very least they are likely to
>>include a "secure" kernel alongside their standard builds, much as they
>>do with e.g. bigmem kernels. I believe there have been people from RH
>>following this list, is anyone around who could confirm/deny this?
>

> The issue there is more that "including the Linux Security Module" !=
> secure.  As I understand it, it's a bunch of hooks for doing
> security-related things that for the most part people don't use, and which
> would require some real reworking of a lot of standard procedures to take
> full advantage of.  So it's not completely obvious to me that Red Hat will
> ship it, although they might.

Fedora Core 2 is to ship with SELinux support which requires the Linux
Security Module.

Regards,

Nick.

--
Nick Burrett, Senior Systems and Network Engineer
Designer Servers Ltd.   http://www.dsvr.co.uk