[OpenAFS] Linux kernel 2.6 & AFS

Troy Benjegerdes hozer@hozed.org
Sat, 21 Feb 2004 13:56:24 -0600

On Sat, Feb 21, 2004 at 12:34:14PM -0500, Derrick J Brashear wrote:
> On Sat, 21 Feb 2004, Troy Benjegerdes wrote:
>
> > I've seen some discussion about openafs on the 2.6 kernel, and how long
> > it will take to get anything working.
>
> I'm told that some of the work will start appearing in OpenAFS RT this
> weekend, or may already have.
>
> > Has anyone had a discussion with dhowells (who wrote the 2.6 in-kernel
> > afs implementation) about using kafs along with the openafs client
> > utilities (such as 'fs', 'aklog', & friends?)
> >
> > I kinda suspect it might actually be faster to get this working than to
> > try to rewrite PAG and pioctl handling. (which nobody seems to have time
> > to do, or if they do, they aren't talking about it)
>
> His client didn't have those yet either, last I looked. Same set of
> problems, different code base.

Okay. We've got 3 codebases that have similiar problems regarding
authetication.

1) openafs
2) kafs
3) nfsv4  (http://www.citi.umich.edu/projects/nfsv4/linux)

So has there been any sort of communication between these three projects
on how to solve the authentication/pag type issues??

If all three groups could agree on a common implementation, I think
kernel developers would be a lot happier to take patches.

If nothing else, it would make my life easier trying to add AFS support
to things like courier-imap and have it know what the hecks going on in
regards to ACL's and authentication.

Troy Benjegerdes                'da hozer'                hozer@hozed.org

Somone asked my why I work on this free (http://www.fsf.org/philosophy/)
software stuff and not get a real job. Charles Shultz had the best answer:

"Why do musicians compose symphonies and poets write poems? They do it
because life wouldn't have any meaning for them if they didn't. That's why
I draw cartoons. It's my life." -- Charles Shultz