[OpenAFS] Linux kernel 2.6 & AFS

Derrick J Brashear shadow@dementia.org
Sun, 22 Feb 2004 20:21:56 -0500 (EST)

It's Sunday evening. I'm not working for anyone but me today, so bear that
in mind.

On Sun, 22 Feb 2004, Troy Benjegerdes wrote:

> The kernel developers have stated they won't take patches to 2.6 *only*
> for AFS. So let's make sure they know that NFSv4 also wants to use this.

What makes you think they don't already?

> I would like to see someone post a PAG patch for both AFS and NFSv4 to
> the linux-kernel mailing list. I think the kernel developers will have a
> bit easier time accepting it if the NFSv4 also uses it.

You'll find Jan Harkes did one which would have worked for Coda and
OpenAFS; by extension it would have worked for NFSv4. It was 47 lines of
diff (add, change, subtract).

It
a) was not solely for OpenAFS
b) is not in the kernel now, blowing a hole in the theory that that's
the only condition standing in our way.

> I for one would like the 'tokens' command to show me both AFS and NFSv4
> tokens. I don't care how, only that it works. Linux kernel developers
> only want to support 1 API for accomplishing this. So let's give them
> the API and figure out how to get it included.

Ok, let us know when you're done;-)

If I recall you've hacked on the Treo driver, so you at least know a bit
about kernel internals. There's no annointed one; if a path to a working
port shows up from whatever corner, it will be used.

-D