[OpenAFS] Linux kernel 2.6 & AFS

Jim Rees rees@umich.edu
Sun, 22 Feb 2004 21:32:03 -0500

This comes up so often I put a link to it on my afs web site (which
otherwise has little of use on it):

http://www.citi.umich.edu/projects/openafs/

Linus's objection had nothing to do with the patch being afs specific.  His
objection was to the entire idea of pags:

  A "user" is by definition what the unix filesystem considers to be the
  "atom of security".

But he seems open to the idea, especially if logins are pagless by default.
Read the entire thread.  I think if the patch were split in two (it also has
an afs multiplexor part), and the pag part was made non-afs specific (really
just disconnect it from pioctl), it might have a chance.

Trond's office is right across the hall from mine.  If someone can come up
with a proper patch I might be able to enlist his help.