[OpenAFS] qmail and user mail accounts in AFS

Brian Huntley bhuntley@clarkson.edu
Mon, 23 Feb 2004 15:57:13 -0500

--=_alternative 00731A3A85256E43_=

We used  IP-based ACL's to get around the token problem.  We created a
subdirectory in ~/ in which the new, cur and tmp dir's lived.  Then, we
created PTS users/groups that contained the IP's of our mail servers, and
gave those groups write access into the mail subdirectory.  Just make sure
your mail servers are hardened, as IP ACL's  represent a significant
security issue.

I'll put our patch on my web site... feel free to give it a test drive
http://www.clarkson.edu/~bhuntley/qmail-1.03-clarkson.patch
Beware that this patch does some other stuff, too... there is a 00CHANGES
file also there that explains what the patch does.  I didn't write any of
it, so use any/all at your own risk, yadda,yadda...

HTH...
-b

--
Brian T. Huntley, Systems Administrator
Office of Information Technology

"Michael Raitza" <m.raitza@gmx.net>
02/23/2004 14:10

Brian Huntley <bhuntley@clarkson.edu>
cc

Subject
Re: [OpenAFS] qmail and user mail accounts in AFS

> We delivered all of our users' email directly into AFS for several years

> using qmail.... We modified it for a variety of site-specific needs, but

> included in that was making it such that delivering into a
maildir-format
> inbox didn't require a hardlink across directories, which AFS forbids.
All

> of our mods were based on qmail 1.03.  Is this the problem you are
having?

Yes, I read about that but was unable to 'tweak' qmail. The other problem
is
to get qmail afs tokens for delivery.

> Best,
> Brian

Thanks in advance,
Michael

jetzt 3 Monate GRATIS + 3x DER SPIEGEL +++ http://www.gmx.net/derspiegel
+++

--=_alternative 00731A3A85256E43_=

around the token problem. &nbsp;We created a subdirectory in ~/ in which
the new, cur and tmp dir's lived. &nbsp;Then, we created PTS users/groups
that contained the IP's of our mail servers, and gave those groups write
access into the mail subdirectory. &nbsp;Just make sure your mail servers
are hardened, as IP ACL's &nbsp;represent a significant security issue.</font>
feel free to give it a test drive http://www.clarkson.edu/~bhuntley/qmail-1.03-clarkson.patch</font>
stuff, too... there is a 00CHANGES file also there that explains what the
patch does. &nbsp;I didn't write any of it, so use any/all at your own
risk, yadda,yadda...</font>
Brian T. Huntley, Systems Administrator<br>
Office of Information Technology<br>
Clarkson University<br>
bhuntley@clarkson.edu -- 315.268.6723<br>
&quot;UNIX *is* user friendly. It's just selective about who its friends
are.&quot;<br>
&lt;m.raitza@gmx.net&gt;</b> </font>
mail accounts in AFS</font></table>
into AFS for several years <br>
&gt; using qmail.... We modified it for a variety of site-specific needs,
but <br>
&gt; included in that was making it such that delivering into a maildir-format
&gt; inbox didn't require a hardlink across directories, which AFS forbids.
All<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; of our mods were based on qmail 1.03. &nbsp;Is this the problem you
are having?<br>
Yes, I read about that but was unable to 'tweak' qmail. The other problem
is<br>
to get qmail afs tokens for delivery.<br>
&gt; Best,<br>
&gt; Brian<br>
Thanks in advance,<br>
Michael<br>
-- <br>
GMX ProMail (250 MB Mailbox, 50 FreeSMS, Virenschutz, 2,99 EUR/Monat...)<br>
jetzt 3 Monate GRATIS + 3x DER SPIEGEL +++ http://www.gmx.net/derspiegel
+++<br>
</tt></font>
--=_alternative 00731A3A85256E43_=--