[OpenAFS] Putting together funds for 2.6 support

ted creedon tcreedon@easystreet.com
Tue, 24 Feb 2004 08:44:36 -0800

How about an PO to Linus from a US Government Contracting Officer with a
DPAS DX-C2 defense priority rating? (Or a DARPA contract with the same
conditions)?

This is small change for the military related users.

Tedc

-----Original Message-----
From: openafs-info-admin@openafs.org [mailto:openafs-info-admin@openafs.org]
On Behalf Of Troy Benjegerdes
Sent: Tuesday, February 24, 2004 7:57 AM
To: Turbo Fredriksson
Cc: openafs-info@openafs.org
Subject: Re: [OpenAFS] Putting together funds for 2.6 support

How should we do this? Use one of those 'bounty' open source websites
that takes money for a project and holds it until it's complete?

If there's a way to make read/write AFS support for the 2.6 linux kernel
a deliverable on this, I can budget at least $1000 from DOE Ames Lab.
If someone comes up with a decent proposal to do the work with a timeline
and a couple different deliverables, we may be able to shop this around
to various DOE labs and universities as well.

Personally, I'd like to see a joint project with someone from the
OpenAFS project and David Howells at RedHat to make both the openafs
client work and the 2.6 kernel afs client work.

I'd also pay something for some updates to afsbackup as well..

On Tue, Feb 24, 2004 at 03:06:47PM +0100, Turbo Fredriksson wrote:

>     Derek> Andreas <andreas@netbank.com.br> writes:
>     >> I second that. I was just waiting for openafs to have a clean
>     >> krb5 support and was caught by surprise by the lack of support
>     >> in the 2.6 kernel.  Any idea how long it would take? A year
>     >> perhaps?
>
>     Derek> Is someone willing to fund the work?
>
> How many here are willing to put some money where there mouth is?
> I'm prepared to put $100 US to this.
>
> This will get the porting NOWHERE! But if all of us do, it will
> take us very faar. To the end even?

Troy Benjegerdes                'da hozer'                hozer@hozed.org

Somone asked my why I work on this free (http://www.fsf.org/philosophy/)
software stuff and not get a real job. Charles Shultz had the best answer:

"Why do musicians compose symphonies and poets write poems? They do it
because life wouldn't have any meaning for them if they didn't. That's why
I draw cartoons. It's my life." -- Charles Shultz