[OpenAFS] suse and openafs

ted creedon tcreedon@easystreet.com
Wed, 25 Feb 2004 14:02:24 -0800

It works extremely well on SuSE 9.0 and talks to Win 2000, 2003

I suggest:

Do not install the SuSE afs client - it has a different directory structure
Cd /usr/src/linux make xconfig; make dep to get the linux headers
Compile afs with -- ./configure --enable-namei-fileserver
--enable-transarc-paths

The IBM documentation assumes Transarc paths

Make;make install;

Partitioning is:
/vicepa - its own partition reiserfs
/usr/vice - its own partition  ext2 or 3 (you could use a loopback file)
If I have a major crash the partitions are not wiped out (unlikely)
Grab /etc/init.d/afs-client /etc/init.d/afs-server and
/etc/sysconfig/afs-client scripts from the SuSE dist'n;

I need to get the sysconfig utility to automatically start and stop afs, if
you reboot with afs server running the salvager will run;

I have limited the Kerberos to kaserver for simplicity

tedc