[OpenAFS] solaris 8 afs/nfs translator problems

Renata Maria Dart Renata Maria Dart <renata@SLAC.Stanford.EDU>
Thu, 26 Feb 2004 09:22:18 -0800 (PST)

Hi, I opened up a bug on this issue some number of months
ago....bugid 1480.  Here is the ticket history:

----------------  Copy of Ticket History  --------------------

Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 16:12:12 -0700 (PDT)
From: Renata Maria Dart <renata@SLAC.Stanford.EDU>
Subject: Re: [OpenAFS] Knfs doesn't work on an AFS/NFS translator under OpenAFS
To: shadow@dementia.org
Cc: openafs-info@openafs.org

>Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 14:40:08 -0400 (EDT)
>From: Derrick J Brashear <shadow@dementia.org>
>Subject: Re: [OpenAFS] Knfs doesn't work on an AFS/NFS translator under OpenAFS
>To: openafs-info@openafs.org
>
>On Tue, 20 May 2003, Renata Maria Dart wrote:
>
>> Hi, we have been running an AFS/NFS translator for years under
>> Transarc AFS.  As part of our migration to OpenAFS, I just tested
>> the translator on a solaris 9 system running OpenAFS 1.2.9
>> and found that it only works to a limited degree.  It allows me
>> to read files in my AFS home directory, but I cannot get write
>> privileges with the knfs command.  I get the following:
>>
>> renata@afstrans $ 10:41 knfs -host some-nfs-client
>> knfs: failed to copy tokens (code 22)
>
>Hmmm. I don't know that I tested that. I never had a Solaris 9 system to
>do any testing on, and honestly I still don't. I can try Solaris 8 in the
>near future; Of course, if it works that's not really helpful.

Hi, I just did the same comparsion of Transarc AFS 3.6 2.43 and
OpenAFS 1.2.9 on a solaris 8 system running as a translator and
knfs fails the same way under OpenAFS.  If you get a chance to
try it yourself, please let me know what you find.  And, of course,
any attention you can give to this is appreciated....I realize it
is probably not highest on your list of things to do.

In order to preserve the knfs ability on our translators, we are
continuing to run Transarc's AFS.  Other than the translators,
the rest of our site runs OpenAFS.

-Renata