[OpenAFS] replica server not "failing over" ?

Tim C. tim@umbc.edu
Thu, 26 Feb 2004 23:03:03 -0500 (EST)

> "If you are replicating any volumes, you must replicate the root.afs and
> root.cell volumes, preferably at two or three sites each (even if your
> cell only has two or three file server machines). The Cache Manager
> needs to pass through the directories corresponding to the root.afs and
> root.cell volumes as it interprets any pathname. The unavailability of
> these volumes makes all other volumes unavailable too, even if the file
> server machines storing the other volumes are still functioning."

  Just a curious question, since I believe those documents are from
Transarc.  Is this still the case if you have dynaroot?  Obviously you
have to replicate root.cell, but do you also have to replicate root.afs
for this all to work properly?  Do you even have to have one?  I haven't
played much with dynaroot, so I don't have the expirience that would
probably answer this. ;)

Thanks
  Tim

Tim Craig            These are my opinions and not my employers. :)
OIT-Systems
tim@umbc.edu         It's hard to be serious when you're
                       naked. - Garfield