[OpenAFS] lana issue on windows 2000

David Bear David.Bear@asu.edu
Fri, 27 Feb 2004 11:48:20 -0700

I just noticed a very interesting phenomenon..

I'm using the listlana2 utility (by scott williams at unc). After
logging into the system I immediately ran  the listlana2 and see there
is only lana 0.  That is strange becuase this system has the
ms-loopback device as well as an ethernet card.

So, I ran listlana2 again a minute later, and viola -- lists lana 0
and lana 3 (the loopback).  This has the unfortunate side effect of
have openafs bind to the first available adapter -- the ethernet card.
This is what I wanted to avoid.

Now I can go into the control panel and configure openafs to use a
specific lana number.. But when I do that the afs service sporadically
fails on startup.  Its as if the loopback device is taking way too
long to become available.

Now, if we could wire a dependency on openafs to require the loopback
device that would solve the problem..  Or... whats the alternative.

Anyone have advice on getting openafs to only use the loopback?

--
David Bear
phone: 	480-965-8257