Re[2]: [OpenAFS] permissions, symbolic links, ftp

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz@cmu.edu
Thu, 08 Jan 2004 09:44:45 -0500

On Thursday, January 08, 2004 07:51:59 +0000 Ron Croonenberg
<ronc@DEPAUW.EDU> wrote:

> Yes both user and otheruser exist.
>
> btw: I ftp in using the "otheruser" account, and then try to change
> directory to the /home/user/public_html/csc496 directory via that
> symbolic link
>
> here are the permissions that exist in that directory :
> Access list for . is
> Normal rights:
>   faculty rl
>   system:anyuser rl
>   admin rlidwka
>   user rlidwka
>   otheruser rlidwk
>
> here are the permissions that exist in the other users directory where the
> symbolic links are :
> Access list for . is
> Normal rights:
>   system:anyuser rl
>   admin rlidwka
>   otheruser rlidwka
>
> With ftp it doesn't seem to work. When I just login as otheruser (a
> shell) and cd to the symbolic link, everything just seems to work.
>
> thanks,
>
> Ron
>
>> Are you sure that /home/user exists when you ftp in?
>>
>> -derek
>>
>> Ron Croonenberg <ronc@DEPAUW.EDU> writes:
>>
>>> Hello all,
>>>
>>> I have a permissions question.
>>>
>>> I have a user with a public html directory and a subdirectory  in that
>>> one.
>>>
>>> some thing like :
>>> /home/user/public_html/csc496
>>>
>>> I set permissions so that another user has accress to it with :
>>> fs setacl /home/user/public_html/csc496 otheruser rlidwk
>>>
>>> then, in otheruser's  home directory I made a symbolic link to that
>>> directory with :
>>>
>>> ln -s /home/user/public_html/csc496 /home/otheruser/user
>>>
>>> Now when I use ftp, connect as otheruser and try to cd to user (and
>>> that's a symbolic link to that other directory) then ftp reports that
>>> it "can't find file
>>>
>>> So am I missing some permission ?

What are the ACL's on /home/user and /home/user/public_html?
otheruser will need at least 'l' on these to traverse them in order to get
to the csc496 subdirectory.

   Sr. Research Systems Programmer