Re[2]: [OpenAFS] IBM AFS server manager 3.5

Ron Croonenberg ronc@depauw.edu
Sat, 10 Jul 2004 12:07:59 CT

>What does
>vos listaddrs -cell <broken_cell>
>show? does it list 127.0.0.1?

this is what it shows :
[root@neptune root]# vos listaddrs -cell afs-2.csc.depauw.edu
neptune.csc.depauw.edu
vos: could not list the server addresses
vl: Index out of range

>It's possible that you did a "vos create localhost" at some point when
>creating a volume, and that created an entry in the vldb for a "new
>server with an ip address of 127.0.0.1. this may also mean that you have
>a volume somewhere in your cell that can only be accessed from the
>server it resides on.
>
>just a hunch.

hmmm..  we might have something here, it looks like I can access all the volumes
I created. However when I used the windows version of OpenAFS it gave me a msg
telling me that non of the volumes had a VLDB entry. That was just a click of a
button away to fix.

It seems that the server is running ok (as far as I can tell) but then again vos
listaddresses seemd to come up with something

thanks,

Ron

>-Matt Andrews
>

>Ron Croonenberg wrote:
>
>>>That is the loopback address.
>>>
>>>Every computer with TCP/IP has that address.  It is the local computer.
>>>
>>>So to the OpenAFS server 127.0.0.1 is itself -- the server, not your
>>>windows computer.
>>>

>>ok so that mean that on the server that serves the cell I should have a config
file somewhere that has
>>the loopback address in it somewhere.  right ?
>>
>>(btw:  in that afs server manager, it gives me the dns name of the windows
machine, with the loopback
>>address as it's IP, NOT the dns name of the server with it's loopback
address.) that is Why I suspected
>>the  windows machine somehow popping up as a server for that cell.  So maybe
it's something in the
>>configuration of AFS on that windows thing ?
>>
>>Ron
>>

>>============================================================================
>> Ron Croonenberg                     |  Phone: 1 765 658 4761
>> Technology Coordinator              |  Fax:   1 765 658 4732
>> Department of ComputerScience       |  e-mail : ronc@depauw.edu
>> DePauw University                   |
>> Julian Science & Math Center        |
>> 602 South College Ave.              |
>> Greencastle, IN  46135              |

1879:
     Thomas Edison gets an idea, and his brother Timmy says,
     "Hey, what's that thing over your head?

 http://www.depauw.edu/acad/computer/RonCroonenberg.asp