[OpenAFS] rookie questions: pvm vs mpi and OpenSSI

Ron Croonenberg ronc@depauw.edu
Sun, 11 Jul 2004 12:41:51 CT

Hello all,

Is PVM or MPI part of OpenSSI ?  or is that a dumb question ?

When wanting to run/develop parallel application is there a need to have either of them installed ? Is
OpenSSI even an OS that is geared for using something like this or are pvm and/or mpi more meant for
other OS's ? (I wrote a few things that utilize the cluster being a parallel thing, but so far didn't
need anything like pvm or mpi yet)

I found out that on "super computers" pvm and mpi are apparently the standard as they (I read) are also
on other certain clusters like beowulf clusters etc.

Im don't have too much experience with clusters yet, been playing with it for a while and doing some
programming to get a feel for it. If not mistaken, OpenSSI is designed to be a High Availibility cluster
and so far I like it. I am trying to research the possibility of having some parallel processing power,
while also have the easy of keeping "it" running.

basically i am trying to see what others experiences/opinions/ideas are.

thanks,

Ron

 Ron Croonenberg                     |  Phone: 1 765 658 4761
 Technology Coordinator              |  Fax:   1 765 658 4732

 Department of ComputerScience       |  e-mail : ronc@depauw.edu
 DePauw University                   |
 Julian Science & Math Center        |
 602 South College Ave.              |