[OpenAFS] strange failure mode in Linux when servers are unreachable

Derrick J Brashear shadow@dementia.org
Tue, 27 Jul 2004 19:13:41 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 27 Jul 2004, Derrick J Brashear wrote:

>> able to confirm this with 'ls -l /proc/<pid_of_windowmanager>', which
>> indicated that the cwd link pointed to a deleted directory.  This caused
>
> How did it indicate that? I'm not familiar with such an indication.

Chaskiel set me straight:
        sphinx /tmp  > rmdir testdir
        shell1:
        sphinx /tmp/testdir  > ls -l /proc/$$/cwd
        lrwxrwxrwx    1 cg2v     staff           0 Jul 27 19:09 /proc/4523/cwd -> /tmp/testdir (deleted)

I've never seen this before, but I probably haven't looked. I'd have to
look at the linux kernel's handling before I understand why.