[OpenAFS] Any plans to support multi-terabyte filesystems on solaris?

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz@cmu.edu
Mon, 01 Mar 2004 20:36:55 -0500

On Friday, February 27, 2004 14:18:26 -0800 Renata Maria Dart
<renata@SLAC.Stanford.EDU> wrote:

> Hello, is there a plan to support multi-terabyte /vicep partitions on
> inode fileservers (that is, NOT namei fileservers) which became
> possible with solaris 9 update 4?  This new multi-terabyte support
> in solaris involves a change to the magic number in the superblock.

Well, it's more than just a magic number -- there are real changes to the
filesystem structure, and according to my contact at Sun, journalling must
be enabled on such filesystems.

So no, at present, the inode fileserver does not support multi-terabyte
vice partitions.  We're looking into working with Sun to get this working,
but we're still too early in that process to make any promises.  In the
meantime, the only alternatives are using smaller vice partitions or
running the namei fileserver.

   Sr. Research Systems Programmer