[OpenAFS] OpenAFS for Windows vs XP SP2

Jeffrey Altman jaltman@columbia.edu
Sun, 21 Mar 2004 00:57:17 -0500

--------------090804020005080003030908

Tim C. wrote:

>  The behavior I was expiriencing was just like someone else already
>posted.  I am running XP sp1.  I haven't tried the latest daily build,
>but someone said that was showing the same behavior.  I will attempt to
>try that version at some point and let you know if it works for me.
>
>Tim

The behavior which has been described simply means
that one or more of the functions which are called
during the process of populating the drive list are
blocking.

I have installed XP SP2 Beta on a machine and been
able to demonstrate at least one system in which
this problem does not occur.  Therefore, we are
still at square one when it comes to figuring out
which aspect of the system configuration is producing
this problem.

There must be something common to the systems which
are experiencing the problem.  Perhaps it is a class
of network drivers from a particular vendor; or a
particular network configuration (network bridge plus
loopback); or a firewall product; or a VPN client;
or something else.

In the latest build which has been uploaded but
not tested by anyone, I have reduced the number of
times and under which conditions the network configuration
is probed in an attempt to determine the proper
Netbios Name.  Hopefully this will have a positive
impact.

If not, I would like to know if the problem is caused
by some tricky code which is being used to probe each
network interface to determine the display name
assigned to the adapter.

please try adding the following value to
the registry:

  [HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\TransarcAFSDaemon\Parameters]
      "NoFindLanaByName" (DWORD) = 0x1

Jeffrey Altman

--------------090804020005080003030908

<head>
  <title></title>
</head>
 cite="midPine.GSO.4.58L6.0403210043280.26545@solaris1.gl.umbc.edu"
 type="cite">
  <pre wrap=""><!----><font face="Bitstream Cyberbit">  The behavior I was expiriencing was just like someone else already
posted.  I am running XP sp1.  I haven't tried the latest daily build,
but someone said that was showing the same behavior.  I will attempt to
try that version at some point and let you know if it works for me.

Tim
The behavior which has been described simply means <br>
that one or more of the functions which are called<br>
during the process of populating the drive list are<br>
blocking.<br>
I have installed XP SP2 Beta on a machine and been<br>
able to demonstrate at least one system in which <br>
this problem does not occur.&nbsp; Therefore, we are <br>
still at square one when it comes to figuring out<br>
which aspect of the system configuration is producing<br>
this problem.&nbsp; <br>
There must be something common to the systems which<br>
are experiencing the problem.&nbsp; Perhaps it is a class<br>
of network drivers from a particular vendor; or a<br>
particular network configuration (network bridge plus <br>
loopback); or a firewall product; or a VPN client; <br>
or something else.<br>
In the latest build which has been uploaded but<br>
not tested by anyone, I have reduced the number of<br>
times and under which conditions the network configuration<br>
is probed in an attempt to determine the proper <br>
Netbios Name.&nbsp; Hopefully this will have a positive <br>
impact.<br>
If not, I would like to know if the problem is caused<br>
by some tricky code which is being used to probe each<br>
network interface to determine the display name <br>
assigned to the adapter.&nbsp; <br>
please try adding the following value to
the registry:
&nbsp; [HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\TransarcAFSDaemon\Parameters]
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; "NoFindLanaByName" (DWORD) = 0x1
Jeffrey Altman<br>

--------------090804020005080003030908--