[OpenAFS] OpenAFS for Windows vs XP SP2

Tim C. tim@umbc.edu
Sun, 21 Mar 2004 01:42:09 -0500 (EST)

> The behavior which has been described simply means
> that one or more of the functions which are called
> during the process of populating the drive list are
> blocking.
>
> I have installed XP SP2 Beta on a machine and been
> able to demonstrate at least one system in which
> this problem does not occur.  Therefore, we are
> still at square one when it comes to figuring out
> which aspect of the system configuration is producing
> this problem.

  Oh...I was wondering on the SP2, cause I didn't even see it.  It's
beta. :)

> There must be something common to the systems which
> are experiencing the problem.  Perhaps it is a class
> of network drivers from a particular vendor; or a
> particular network configuration (network bridge plus
> loopback); or a firewall product; or a VPN client;
> or something else.

  Okay, I have an orinoco PC card as my main network interface, a 3com
10/100 pc card that is not being used, but is active.  And I installed
the loopback(before I began testing all of this.  I don't have bridging,
a firewall, or a vpn client.

> In the latest build which has been uploaded but
> not tested by anyone, I have reduced the number of
> times and under which conditions the network configuration
> is probed in an attempt to determine the proper
> Netbios Name.  Hopefully this will have a positive
> impact.

  I can't even get this latest version to work at all.  I thought it
might be how I was installing it, so I've installed it like 3 times.
This latest time I went through and removed all files and registry
settings associated with the transarc version, and the openafs version.
  I install it(using all default except setting my cell to "umbc.edu"),
reboot, and when I do the icon appears in the tray as normal.  I click
that and it says "afs service not started, click next to start".  When I
do it says it can't be started and to check the control panel stuff.  So
I go to the control panel, launch the afs client configuration, it shows
the control panel which I can navigate around, but it has on top a
window stating "Please wait; the AFS Client service is stopping".  That
window doesn't go away until I click cancel on the configuration window.
On the configuration window, the Client status says "The AFS Client
service is not configured properly".  It's like the install didn't work
right.
  I also noticed that there is not a service listed in the
administrative services manager.  I thought there was one before?

> If not, I would like to know if the problem is caused
> by some tricky code which is being used to probe each
> network interface to determine the display name
> assigned to the adapter.

  On a similar note, the drive map tab seems to function "normally",
even though the service isn't. ;)

> please try adding the following value to
> the registry:
>
>   [HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\TransarcAFSDaemon\Parameters]
>       "NoFindLanaByName" (DWORD) = 0x1

  I just added this, and I'm rebooting to see if I have any better
luck...

Same results as above...

Tim

Tim Craig            These are my opinions and not my employers. :)
OIT-Systems
tim@umbc.edu         It's hard to be serious when you're
                       naked. - Garfield