[OpenAFS] Vos move / vos remsite errors..

Hans-Gunther Borrmann hans-gunther.borrmann@rz.uni-freiburg.de
Thu, 18 Nov 2004 13:45:08 +0100

On Thursday 18 November 2004 12:58, Lars Schimmer wrote:
> 2. vos remsite doesn't work like expected.
> On my debian 1.3.73 version (Debian sarge, 1.3.73 experimental source deb,
> Kernel 2.4.27) I run the fileserver and a few RO copies of volumes.
> Now I want to move the HD from this server to another. Vos move doesn't
> work with RO copies, so vos remsite server a, vos addsite server b.
> Here the workflow:
> vos listvol tetris
> Total number of volumes on server tetris partition /vicepb: 12
> CVS.readonly =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0536871206 RO =A0 =
=A01761781 K On-line
> ~ vos remsite tetris b CVS
> Deleting the replication site for volume 536871205 ...Removed replication
> site tetris /vicepb for volume CVS
> schimmer@tetris:~ ! vos listvol tetris
> Total number of volumes on server tetris partition /vicepb: 12
> CVS.readonly =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0536871206 RO =A0 =
=A01761781 K On-line

> Huuuu?
> I deleted the replication site and right after that the replication of the
> volume is still online?
> But another:
> schimmer@tetris:~ ! vos remsite tetris b CVS
> This site is not a replication site
> Error in vos remsite command.
> VOLSER: illegal operation
>
> Huu?
> The RO copy is still there, but can't be removed? A salvage says everythi=
ng
> is OK and a syncvldb oder syncserv puts the RO copy back in use.
> How can I delete the RO copy on this special Fileserver?

=46rom the manual:

The vos remsite command removes the read-only replication site specified by=
=20
the -machine and -partition arguments from the Volume Location Database=20
(VLDB) entry for the indicated volume, which is read/write.=20

This command is useful for removing read-only sites that were mistakenly=20
created with the vos addsite command, before the vos release command actual=
ly=20
releases them. If a read-only copy already exists at the site, it is not=20
affected. However, if this read-only site was the last site housing any=20
version of the volume, then the entire VLDB entry is removed, even if a cop=
y=20
of the read-only version still actually exists at the site. The VL Server=20
does not correct the discrepancy until the vos syncserv and vos syncvldb=20
commands are run.=20

Cautions=20

Do not use this command as the standard way to remove a read-only volume,=20
because it can create a discrepancy between the VLDB and the volumes on fil=
e=20
server machines. Use the vos remove command instead.=20
=2D-=20
Hans-Gunther Borrmann <hans-gunther.borrmann@rz.uni-freiburg.de>
Rechenzentrum der Universitaet Freiburg
Hermann-Herder-Str. 10, D79104 FREIBURG