[OpenAFS] Panic under MacOS 10.3.6 with OpenAFS-1.2.13

Derrick J Brashear shadow@dementia.org
Thu, 18 Nov 2004 21:08:52 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 18 Nov 2004, Garance A Drosihn wrote:

> As it was getting installed on various file servers, I started
> noticing that *some* references into AFS space from my Mac would
> hang for 56 seconds.  Once I got past one hang, any accesses would

56 seconds is timing out a fileserver completely.

> I am not certain which version of OpenAFS I had been running, but I
> believe it was 1.2.11.  So, I figured I might as well upgrade my Mac
> to 1.2.13.  Now, I seem to get panics when I save a file which I
> am editing in the XCode 1.5 application.  I may be able to change
> and save any given file some small number of times, but after one-
> too-many saves, the machine will panic.  I have only noticed this
> with XCode, but then that is the way I usually modify files.

It's probably going to be a week or so before I can look into this; I did
reproduce it at least once myself. If PearPC were faster (and if I had
media with me) I'd try to reproduce it on the road, but...

> Once the machine comes back from the panic, the original file will
> be gone, but there's a temp backup file still around.  E.g., if I am
> editting 'printjob.c', then 'printjob.c' will be missing, but there
> is an extra 'printjob~.c' file sitting in the same directory.  That
> file will not have the changes that I just saved, and I think it is
> also missing the *previous* set of changes that I had saved.

It's probably the afs_remunlink case, which iirc was problematic and I had
to do some weird stuff to deal with.