[OpenAFS] avoid writing temporary files to the server

Juan Carlos Schroeder jcsc@adinet.com.uy
Sat, 11 Sep 2004 22:03:34 -0300

Hi:

I'm using the an editor (OpenOffice Writer) with AFS. It happens that the
application generates some ".tmp" (temporary) files when saving the file.
The file is deleted after the "save" operation finishes.
I'm not sure, but I think I've read somewhere that NFS client waits some
time (in seconds) before updating the server with the changes to avoid these
kind of "writes" (temporary).

Is there anything similar in AFS?
I've seen the "storebehind" option of "fs" but I don't know if I can use it
because the file *doesn't* exist before starting to edit the file with the
editor, so I can't specify which file to "storebehind".
Is applying the "storebehind" option to a whole dir a bad idea?. The
documentation says: "It is best not to enable asynchronous writes unless the
machine's users are sophisticated enough to understand the potential
problems and how to avoid them.". This will be the case.

Thanks,
Juan Carlos