[OpenAFS] AFS client installation on Motorolla MVME6100 PowerPC

Horst Birthelmer horst@riback.net
Fri, 5 Aug 2005 16:57:12 +0200

On Aug 5, 2005, at 3:22 PM, Konstantin Boyanov wrote:

> Hi everybody!
>
> I'm merely a newbie at all the AFS stuff, so I will ask you for
> some help.
> I'm trying to install a AFS client on a Motorola MVME6100 PowePC
> running Linux Live Red Hat 8.0 but I cannot find the appropriate
> guide and documentation for it. I've been googling around the net
> for some info but all I could find was how to install it on normal
> Linux machines. If you have something concerning this issue in mind
> - pleas reply.

AFAIK, the MVME6100 is an embedded system based on the MPC7457 from
Motorola.
I think nobody ever compiled the AFS kernel module for that
processor. (well, I might be wrong ... )

Since you have a 'normal' Linux kernel, the installation itself
(after you have a working kernel module) would be more or less like
on any other Linux system, except maybe you don't have the ability to
work on the machine as easy as on another workstation.
(copy the kernel module into your boot image in an appropriate place,
put afsd in there, place all the configuration - ThisCell,
CellServDB, cacheinfo - in the right place, and start AFS)

I just did that on Intel based embedded systems before.

Horst