[OpenAFS] why did I have to "vos create" twice on new cell setup? root.afs vs root.cell?

Derrick J Brashear shadow@dementia.org
Sun, 11 Dec 2005 18:31:53 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 11 Dec 2005, Adam Megacz wrote:

> them again.  I noticed that I had included the "vos create" command
> twice:
>
>  vos create $SERVERNAME /vicepa -name root.afs

the root.afs volume, that you mount as /afs

>  ... other stuff ...
>
>  vos create $SERVERNAME /vicepa -name root.cell

the volume you and others mount as /afs/your.cell

> What is the meaning of "root.afs" and "root.cell"?  Clearly one (or
> both) of these must be a magical/special name -- if I had chosen

volume names.

> "festering.elephant" and "concrete.pants" as the arguments to "-name"
> I bet this wouldn't have worked, right?

it would have, but you'd have to tell afsd -rootvol festering.elephant and
mount concrete.pants in it as your cell name.

> If so, can anybody point me to the documentation that explains which
> volume names are "special" and what they mean?

That's be both of them.

Derrick