[OpenAFS] a familiar problem compiling aklog?

Russ Allbery rra@stanford.edu
Mon, 12 Dec 2005 11:48:36 -0800

Ken Hornstein <kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil> writes:

> If that were to happen, that would be fine with me.  I was under the
> impression that AFS's com_err was slightly special regarding thread
> safety (witness the whole add_err_table()/add_to_error_table() mess that
> aklog has to deal with).

The krb5 com_err is now also thread-safe (using different techniques,
probably) at this point; hopefully it would work fine.  I'd like to port
the thread safety to the e2fsprogs version as well, but untangling the
right way to do pthreads is daunting.

Also, you have to be doing kind of weird things to run into thread safety
problems with com_err anyway, although it's possible that AFS is doing
weird things.