[OpenAFS] Trouble setting up first server on FreeBSD 6.0

Steve Devine sdevine@msu.edu
Tue, 13 Dec 2005 06:18:38 -0500

Tony Shadwick - OSS Solutions wrote:

> I've been reading about OpenAFS for about a year, and administering
> FreeBSD servers full time for over 4 years now (wow! Been that
> long...), and I've been wanting something to combat the "roaming
> profiles" that windows provides, and it seems that OpenAFS would do
> the trick.  Here's what I have so far:
>
> The server I have set up is approx 3Ghz P4 with 2GB RAM, and a
> mirrored hardware SATA RAID with 200GB of available storage.  I've set
> up a pretty typical server install using about 15GB of that space,
> with mountpoints /, /etc, /var, /tmp, and swap.  The intent was to use
> the rest as OpenAFS space, eventually housing /home for some Mac
> mini's in a call center. This may eventually grow to replicate files
> at other locations, but starting small here.
>
> I've downloaded both the binaries and the sources, but I'm not clear
> on where it all goes.  Generally speaking, sources provide "make
> install" to set things up for you, or singular statically compiled
> binaries to place in /usr/local.  This is neither, and I can't find
> any instructions.
>
> The documentation goes on about compiling your kernel to support
> OpenAFS, but after grepping for afs references, I've come up empty.
> So where do I need to go from here?
>
> (BTW, I would have searched the archives more thoroughly, but there
> doesn't appear to be any search functionality for the archives!)
>
> Tony Shadwick
> OSS Solutions

My 2 cents:
I love FreeBsd .. my first entry into Unix was FreeBsd. I have lots of
boxes that are FreeBsd. However if you are setting up a cell for the
first time do yourself a favor and do it in Linux or Solaris  or one of
the OS's that have long standing support. :-) .
I expect flames.
/sd

Steve Devine
Storage Systems
Academic Computing & Network Services
Michigan State University
506 Computer Center
East Lansing, MI 48824-1042
1-517-432-7327
Baseball is ninety percent mental; the other half is physical.
- Yogi Berra