[OpenAFS] Re: 1.4.1-rc2 feedback

Christopher D. Clausen cclausen@acm.org
Fri, 16 Dec 2005 10:21:05 -0600

Russ Allbery wrote:
> Christopher D Clausen <cclausen@acm.org> writes:
>> Is there a way to restart the bosserver process WITHOUT first
>> stopping all other AFS server processes (and thus causing downtime?)
>> I really don't like to wait for a salvage or have to vos move
>> everything to another server.
>
> You shouldn't have to salvage if you do a clean restart with bos
> restart -bosserver.  The only delay is breaking callbacks and
> attaching volumes. (Which admittedly isn't always fast.)

Yes, I usually compile my binaries with --enable-fast-restart.  The
openafs.org binaries (at least the sun4x_510 ones) are not compiled this
way and a salvage is always run when a bos restart or shutdown isn't
given.  And, since bosserver died on the machine where I want to restart
it, I can't give a bos restart (or am I missing something and bos
restart -bossserver doesn't require a currently running bosserver?)  Is
there a non-bosserver way to correctly shutdown the fileserver?  Some
signal that can be sent or something?

And speaking on configure flags, are the options used to compile the
available openafs.org binaries listed somewhere?  I think someone asked
about this a little while ago, but I did not see an answer.

>> And, if something else did crash (likely ptserver,) can it be
>> manually restarted without using bosserver?
>
> Yes.

How?  Just run the parm command(s) listed in the BosConfig file?

> If you wanted to, you could run everything under something like
> daemontools.  You just wouldn't get the network management.

Hmm.  Is anyone doing this and wish to share?

<<CDC
--
Christopher D. Clausen
ACM@UIUC SysAdmin