[OpenAFS] Re: 1.4.1-rc2 feedback

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz@cmu.edu
Fri, 16 Dec 2005 13:42:26 -0500

On Friday, December 16, 2005 10:21:05 AM -0600 "Christopher D. Clausen"
<cclausen@acm.org> wrote:

> Russ Allbery wrote:
>> Christopher D Clausen <cclausen@acm.org> writes:
>>> Is there a way to restart the bosserver process WITHOUT first
>>> stopping all other AFS server processes (and thus causing downtime?)
>>> I really don't like to wait for a salvage or have to vos move
>>> everything to another server.
>>
>> You shouldn't have to salvage if you do a clean restart with bos
>> restart -bosserver.  The only delay is breaking callbacks and
>> attaching volumes. (Which admittedly isn't always fast.)
>
> And, since bosserver died on the machine where I want to restart
> it, I can't give a bos restart (or am I missing something and bos restart
> -bossserver doesn't require a currently running bosserver?)  Is there a
> non-bosserver way to correctly shutdown the fileserver?  Some signal that
> can be sent or something?

Yes.  If you send the fileserver SIGQUIT, it will shut down cleanly.
Other AFS server processes should be sent SIGTERM.

> How?  Just run the parm command(s) listed in the BosConfig file?

Yes.  Other than its handling of the interaction between the fileserver,
volserver, and salvager, there's nothing magical about the bosserver.  You
can run the various server processes manually, if you want.

   Sr. Research Systems Programmer