[OpenAFS] Failover

Horst Birthelmer horst@riback.net
Sat, 31 Dec 2005 17:19:35 +0100

On Dec 31, 2005, at 4:53 PM, ed wrote:
> On Sat, 31 Dec 2005 16:43:38 +0100
> Horst Birthelmer <horst@riback.net> wrote:
>
>> On Dec 31, 2005, at 4:12 PM, ed wrote:
>>> Can this not be automated via cron for all volumes every 5min for
>>> example?
>>
>> It can, of course, but that's still no failover, since you have just
>> one RW copy.
>> If that server goes down, you _can't write_, and besides that, you
>> have to mount the RW volume differently, so your user will have
>> another path to the RW copy. That's definitely not what people call
>> full replication of data.
>>
>> This is documented that way and AFS people never claimed to have this
>> feature (R/W replication of data across fileservers).
>
> Isn't there a backup server in AFS, or am I confusing that with
> something else, such as volume database backup.

Replication has nothing to do with AFS backups and volume database
backup is an entirely separate topic.
I'm not sure where exactly the confusion is... ;-)
Those are three completely different things.

If you can elaborate a little more what you meant by backup server
what that has to do with replication, maybe we can straighten this.

Horst