[OpenAFS] \\afs\long_cellname Trucated to Netbios Name

Derrick J Brashear shadow@dementia.org
Wed, 2 Feb 2005 23:36:00 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 2 Feb 2005, Jason C. Wells wrote:

> OpenAFS has been working well for me so I am not up on the latest news.  I
> see that global drive mappings are deprecated.  To get with the times, I was
> looking at using \\afs\cellname as reported in the docs.
>
> \\afs\stradamotorports.com is truncated to \\afs\stradamotors.

https://lists.openafs.org/pipermail/openafs-info/2004-September/014724.html
Quoting the relevant bit:

"You are browsing the "AFS" SMB/CIFS server.  The OpenAFS SMB/CIFS does
  not support UNICODE.  Without UNICODE support, SMB/CIFS share names are
  limited to 13 characters.  Hence, all cell names which are longer then
  13 characters in length will be truncated as reported by a browse
  operation.

  If you wish to browse with full length names, browse  "\\AFS\all" or
  simply type in the full name "\\AFS\cellname"."