[OpenAFS] FSFS Subversion repository on OpenAFS 1.3.84 problems

Christof Hanke hanke@rzg.mpg.de
Wed, 22 Jun 2005 18:42:24 +0200

Blake Atkins wrote:

>Hello,
>
>	We are running a SuSE Linux Enterprise Server 9 AFS fileserver with several
>Windows XP and Linux clients.  Both the OpenAFS server and clients are all
>version 1.3.84 and authentication is handled by KerberosV.  We have a
>Subversion repository that is being served via OpenAFS and it is problematic.
>OpenAFS on the linux workstations usually requires a restart to see some or
>all changes to the repository made by other workstations.  OpenAFS on the
>Windows XP clients occasionally requires a restart due to an inability to
>access some files within the repository; access fails with an error message:
>"The system cannot find message text for message number.....".
>
>	Though I have not been able to locate it, I recall reading a post to this
>list about a similar problem with CVS + AFS.  I believe the solution was a
>patch to the client source.  I'm about to try downgrading the server and
>clients to 1.2.13.  Is anyone else using either 1.2.X or 1.3.X OpenAFS with
>Subversion successfully?
>
>Thanks very much,

Hmmm, just a quote from the subversion-book:
"""
Other options can be listed with svnadmin help. As opposed to CVS,
subversion is not based on RCS, but rather on the Berkeley Database.
Make sure not to install a repository on remote file systems, like NFS,
AFS, or Windows SMB. The database requires POSIX locking mechanisms,
which these file systems do not support.
"""

Also, see the threads about byte-range locking earlier in this list.
Boiled down, I wouldn't do that.

-Christof