[OpenAFS] can't get volumes online

Stephan Wiesand Stephan.Wiesand@desy.de
Fri, 4 Mar 2005 16:17:22 +0100 (CET)

>>   Blessed?     false
>
> This is the key part.  This bit indicates whether the volume is allowed to be
> in service.  It indicates policy, not validity, and so the fileserver and
> salvager never change it.  Normally it is set as part of the volume creation
> process, and never changed after that.
>
> Recent openafs versions should include a vol-bless utility which is built in
> the src/vol directory but does not get installed.  You can use this utility
> on the fileserver to change a volume's blessed bit.

This indeed does the trick, thanks. (It's not built by default, but a
simple "cd src/vol; make vol-bless" does). The only remaining problem is
that the name of such a volume on the fileserver is still bogus.<ID>
while the VLDB still has the correct name. I tried to "vos syncserv",
but all I get is

 	-- status after --

 	**no change**

 	...done entry 1

Is there another way of renaming volumes on the fileserver only?

| Stephan Wiesand  |                                |
| DESY     - DV -  | phone  +49 33762 7 7370        |
| Platanenallee 6  | fax    +49 33762 7 7216        |
| 15738 Zeuthen    |                                |
| Germany          |                                |