[OpenAFS] can't get volumes online

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz@cmu.edu
Fri, 04 Mar 2005 11:35:52 -0500

On Friday, March 04, 2005 04:17:22 PM +0100 Stephan Wiesand
<Stephan.Wiesand@desy.de> wrote:

>>>   Blessed?     false
>>
>> This is the key part.  This bit indicates whether the volume is allowed
>> to be  in service.  It indicates policy, not validity, and so the
>> fileserver and  salvager never change it.  Normally it is set as part of
>> the volume creation  process, and never changed after that.
>>
>> Recent openafs versions should include a vol-bless utility which is
>> built in  the src/vol directory but does not get installed.  You can use
>> this utility  on the fileserver to change a volume's blessed bit.
>
> This indeed does the trick, thanks. (It's not built by default, but a
> simple "cd src/vol; make vol-bless" does). The only remaining problem is
> that the name of such a volume on the fileserver is still bogus.<ID>
> while the VLDB still has the correct name. I tried to "vos syncserv",
> but all I get is
>
>  	-- status after --
>
>  	**no change**

>  	...done entry 1
>
> Is there another way of renaming volumes on the fileserver only?

AFAIK, there are no tools that will let you change the volume name on the
server.  The simplest approach is to use 'vos rename' to rename the volume
to some other name and then back.  Of course, this will temporarily confuse
clients.

   Sr. Research Systems Programmer