[OpenAFS] Unable to move volumes

Hans-Gunther Borrmann hans-gunther.borrmann@rz.uni-freiburg.de
Fri, 11 Mar 2005 15:49:15 +0100

On Wednesday 09 March 2005 23:11, Horst Birthelmer wrote:

> ... and you're sure there are no files left from some other operations
> like your testing of the savager on your system??
> because the code in IH_CREATE... is pretty straight forward.
> (I just assume it's a namei fileserver)
>
> I moved a few GiBs onto my AIX fileserver and back the last days and
> never had any problems.
>
> Horst

I did not test the salvager on this system. I used my test cell
 I moved about 900 volumes from the TRANSARC source server to the same OpenAFS
server partition without any problems. The fileserver and volserver were
1.3.77 compiled with large file support. Serious troubles arose when I
started to move volumes wich contained websites to another partition. Volumes
got dammaged, volserver frequently core dumped. Our whole webservice - we
host about 200 websites,all webpages in AFS - was down for half a day. I then
exchanged the fileserver and volserver against a 1.3.65 version compiled
without large file support, which solved my problems. I had this version
already running for several month on a small fileserver.

Gunther
Hans-Gunther Borrmann <hans-gunther.borrmann@rz.uni-freiburg.de>
Rechenzentrum der Universitaet Freiburg
Hermann-Herder-Str. 10, D79104 FREIBURG