[OpenAFS] UID ownership

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz@cmu.edu
Thu, 17 Mar 2005 16:53:24 -0500

On Thursday, March 17, 2005 04:28:28 PM -0500 Craig Cook
<craig@cookitservices.com> wrote:

> I'm new to OpenAFS, so I am using the Solaris install guide closely.  I
> have corrected a few updates to work with Solaris and can post an update
> to the restricted wiki if someone would like me to.
>
> Anyway, the docs state to use a copy command with the "-p" switch, which
> preserves ownership.
>
> I now have some files in /usr/vice/etc with a UID of "17985" for Solaris
> 8, and "5663" for Solaris 9, along with some owned by root.

Heh.  Those are both Derrick Brashear's UID's, one in the andrew.cmu.edu
cell and one in the cs.cmu.edu cell.  The files in the official binary
distributions are generally owned by the person who built the distribution.
If you extract the tarball as yourself (instead of as root), then the files
you extract will all be owned by you.

In any case, no, there is no reason for your installed files to be owned by
these UID's.  They should be owned by root or whatever UID you use for
system software and configuration files.  The documentation you are reading
is pretty old, and likely is assuming you are working with original IBM
distribution media, on which all the files are owned by UID 0.

   Sr. Research Systems Programmer