[OpenAFS] Currently correct info for Debian sarge OpenAFS install?

Christopher D. Clausen cclausen@acm.org
Mon, 2 May 2005 16:22:17 -0500

Eric Bennett <eric@umbralservices.com> wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I've been having a nightmare of a time trying to get openafs installed
> under debian, I've gotten to the point where you create a volume (I
> assume) with the command vos create (host) a root.afs -localauth and
> it just hangs, I've tried stracing the filesserver process as well as
> the bosserver process, it appears to be hanging on
>
> [pid  7169] connect(3, {sa_family=AF_INET, sin_port=htons(2040),
> sin_addr=inet_addr("127.0.0.1")}, 16) = -1 ECONNREFUSED (Connection
> refused)
> resulting in continuously outputting;
>
> FSYNC_clientInit temporary failure (will retry): Connection refused
>
> Nothing is bound to port 2040, I looked into this for the past few
> hours with little to no success minus some vague handwaving towards
> the concept of nameserver resolution and configuration, so I made
> *absolutely* certain that that was correct (cell name
> umbralservices.com, hostname raven, resolves forwards and reverse
> resolves correctly, notably *not* to 127.0.0.1 so I'm uncertain if
> there's something to worry about with the bosserver trying to connect
> to localhost:2040)

Yes, this is a problem.

Debian will put the machine's hostname on the 127.0.0.1 line in
/etc/hosts.  This is BAD and causes all sorts of problems.  Did you
check this file also?  The hosts file is checked before DNS is queried.

You want to make sure your AFS servers (and probably all your servers
for that matter) are configured similarly to:
[cclausen@clortho:/]% cat /etc/hosts
127.0.0.1       localhost
128.174.251.6   clortho.acm.uiuc.edu    clortho

This way an IP lookup on the hostname of the machine returns the correct
IP address and NOT 127.0.0.1

<<CDC
Christopher D. Clausen
ACM@UIUC SysAdmin