[OpenAFS] Building libafs.ko on Debian without full kernel sources

Russ Allbery rra@stanford.edu
Sun, 15 May 2005 15:42:05 -0700

Kevin <openafs@gnosys.biz> writes:

> I've checked the Debian list archives and didn't find anything on this.
> Indeed, it's been years since afs was even discussed on either
> debian-user or debian-powerpc according to a Gmane search of the subject
> headers.

I think this is a more likely place to find help.

> In particular, I saw Chaskiel M Grundman write about the
> module-assistant package on Debian and that, combined with comments that
> I see associated with the kernel-headers and kernel-build packages in
> aptitude package descriptions, leads me to believe that it might be
> possible to build libafs.ko without having the full kernel sources
> installed and configured.  Perhaps the .config file could be generated
> from the running kernel?  Not sure.

This is supposed to work, and indeed does work fine with i386.  This is
how I build the OpenAFS module myself.  That it isn't working with powerpc
is Debian bug #308639 and not a problem with OpenAFS.  As soon as that bug
is fixed, this should work.

The new module building instructions that will be in the next version of
the OpenAFS packages in both sid and sarge recommends module-assistant for
building modules against stock Debian kernels.