[OpenAFS] Building libafs.ko on Debian without full kernel sources

Kevin openafs@gnosys.biz
Sun, 15 May 2005 20:29:38 -0400

On Sun, 2005-05-15 at 15:42 -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:
> Kevin <openafs@gnosys.biz> writes:
> > In particular, I saw Chaskiel M Grundman write about the
> > module-assistant package on Debian and that, combined with comments that
> > I see associated with the kernel-headers and kernel-build packages in
> > aptitude package descriptions, leads me to believe that it might be
> > possible to build libafs.ko without having the full kernel sources
> > installed and configured.  Perhaps the .config file could be generated
> > from the running kernel?  Not sure.
>
> This is supposed to work, and indeed does work fine with i386.  This is
> how I build the OpenAFS module myself.  That it isn't working with powerpc
> is Debian bug #308639 and not a problem with OpenAFS.  As soon as that bug
> is fixed, this should work.
>
> The new module building instructions that will be in the next version of
> the OpenAFS packages in both sid and sarge recommends module-assistant for
> building modules against stock Debian kernels.

Thanks for pointing this out, Russ.  I figured the problem was my
newbieness with Debian rather than a bug.

The bug report mentions that the fix is in progress, but that it may not
go into Sarge because the kernels for that release are frozen in
preparation for release.

Do you know if this works in Debian Sid?  Being new to Debian, I started
with Woody and was amazed at how old the softare was.  I upgraded to
Sarge in order to get current OpenAFS code.  Perhaps I should upgrade to
Sid in light of this bug and the freeze of Sarge?

Does anyone here run Sid?  Comments on its stability?  I know it is the
"unstable" branch, but don't have a feeling for how unstable.  Any
comments?

Thanks, Russ.

-Kevin