[OpenAFS] Building libafs.ko on Debian without full kernel sources

Russ Allbery rra@stanford.edu
Sun, 15 May 2005 17:36:48 -0700

Kevin <openafs@gnosys.biz> writes:

> The bug report mentions that the fix is in progress, but that it may not
> go into Sarge because the kernels for that release are frozen in
> preparation for release.

> Do you know if this works in Debian Sid?

It is not yet fixed in sid so far as I can tell.

> Being new to Debian, I started with Woody and was amazed at how old the
> softare was.  I upgraded to Sarge in order to get current OpenAFS code.
> Perhaps I should upgrade to Sid in light of this bug and the freeze of
> Sarge?

sarge and sid are at the moment nearly the same software.  That will, of
course, change over time, since sarge will become the new stable shortly
and then unstable will diverge.

> Does anyone here run Sid?  Comments on its stability?  I know it is the
> "unstable" branch, but don't have a feeling for how unstable.  Any
> comments?

Debian's unstable is about as stable as the beta releases of most other
distributions, although sometimes things do break.  If you're reasonably
familiar with Linux and able to hunt up how to pin packages at particular
versions or pick up the pieces after something goes south, unstable is
quite usable for day-to-day work, but I wouldn't recommend it to someone
who doesn't know how to pick up the pieces when something breaks.  My
experience is that problems are very rare, but they can occasionally be
tricky when they happen.

I run sid on all of my home systems, run testing on my work system where I
have to have it up and running to read my mail and do my job, run testing
on restricted access servers, and run stable on public login systems where
security support is particularly important.