[OpenAFS] Building libafs.ko on Debian without full kernel sources

Kevin openafs@gnosys.biz
Tue, 17 May 2005 14:37:53 -0400

On Sun, 2005-05-15 at 17:36 -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:
> Kevin <openafs@gnosys.biz> writes:
>
> > The bug report mentions that the fix is in progress, but that it may not
> > go into Sarge because the kernels for that release are frozen in
> > preparation for release.
>
> > Do you know if this works in Debian Sid?
>
> It is not yet fixed in sid so far as I can tell.

Thanks again for the quick reply, Russ.

I just upgraded to sid and tried again and it worked!  Yeah!  Whew!  Now
I've got some diskspace-room-to-breath!  (just in time, too.  now down
to 65MB free)

Any recommendations on storing portions of a Debian system (binaries,
configs, whatever) in afs-space?  At this point, if I can come up with a
reliable plan for storing system binaries in afs-space, I'd like to
fiddle with setting up a more complete Debian system; maybe even try X
on this old thing.  Perhaps I could put all of /usr in the afs-tree?
Maybe /opt too?  Putting /var there seems like it might be a bad idea,
but maybe some directories in /var?  /var seems to get quite large on
Debian.

Again, thanks for the thoughts, Russ.  I must say I'm _very_ impressed
with Debian.  What a loss for me that I waited so long to try it.  I
have the impression, though, that documentation for Debian is rather
scarce in comparison to other distributions (perhaps because it's
designed more for the expert and less for the newbie?).  In tinkering
with it, in many situations, I've had to rely on my past experiences
with other linux distros because I couldn't find documentation specific
to Debian.  Would anyone here agree with that or am I missing something
here?

-Kevin