[OpenAFS] Building libafs.ko on Debian without full kernel sources

Jim Rees rees@umich.edu
Tue, 17 May 2005 15:29:19 -0400

The main problem I've had with putting system directories like /usr/bin in
afs is that when you go to install something it will fail because
chmod/chown will fail.

One way around this is to install as root/admin but that scares me.  I have
modified /usr/bin/install so that if chmod or chown fails, it pretends to
succeed, and that helps.

A smaller problem is no cross-dir links, but that is usually only a problem
for man pages.

Another way around this that works pretty well in large shops is to have a
template machine that you do all your installs on, then copy everything (via
something like rsync) into afs.

After things are installed they usually just work.

On the subject of Debian, in my limited experience apt-get/dpkg seems to
work much better than rpm.