[OpenAFS] Disk cache on root filesystem / unclean shutdown

Hendrik Hoeth hendrik.hoeth@cern.ch
Thu, 15 Sep 2005 06:42:26 -0500

Hi Stefaan,

Thus spake Stefaan (stefaan.deroeck@gmail.com):
> I have the feeling I will be shot for asking this, but here goes :)

don't you think we have more elegant methods?  ;)

> I have my cache on my root filesystem, in /var/cache/openafs.  It
> works, but is it supported?  It'd be nice if it was, because it allows
> for a lot of flexibility in choosing the cache size.

As long as you always take care that there is as much space left on the
device as you promised to the cache manager, it's fine.  Currently I'm
doing the same on my laptop ...

> Furthermore, (yes, you've seen it coming) I have had some problems
> with my rootfs lately.  I have the feeling these problems started from
> the moment my afsd wasn't called for a clean shutdown before
> rebooting.  But this is just a feeling of course, the filesystem
> problems may have been caused by something else.  The nice side effect
> was a lot of files in /usr/lib disappearing.

I don't think there is any connection between these events.  Well, at
least I don't think afs can be blamed for frying your libs.

> Running openafs-latest, I think was 1.3.86 when I started seeing the
> problems (date was 1st of august).  Rootfs is ext3, kernel is
> linux-2.6.13-gentoo.

You ran a fs check?

Cheers,

     Hendrik

--
Consistency: Every time you release an apple over Sir Isaac Newton,
it will drop on his head. That's good.