OpenAFS web site design help? (was Re: [OpenAFS] FC4 intall problems)

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz@cmu.edu
Wed, 30 Aug 2006 00:50:39 -0400

On Tuesday, August 29, 2006 02:47:04 PM -0400 Derrick J Brashear
<shadow@dementia.org> wrote:

> Todd suggested earlier that the OpenAFS web site is perhaps not the most
> helpfully designed in the world, and, well, I have no argument there. In
> a brief discussion he suggested putting our tools in front of the world
> in the hopes that we might enlist some aid in upgrading, and while all
> are available, it's been rather transparent previously and so people
> don't generally know how it works. This is both a clue dump and a
> solicitation of volunteers to help.
>
> The scripts used to generate web pages can be found in
> /afs/cs.cmu.edu/project/systems-jhutz/SMMS/depot/host/grand.central.org/s
> bin

Oh, ugh; I wish you hadn't told people about _those_ tools; we're trying to
abandon most of the web-related tools in that directory in favor of new
ones that generate pages that don't depend on frams.  The new tools can be
found in /afs/grand.central.org/local/src/tools, and are designed to work
with something like /afs/grand.central.org/www/www.openafs.org/sb

There are two interesting scripts:

- mknavbar converts a simple representation of the navigation bar
  (parts/navbar.in) into an HTML fragment suitable for use in web pages.

- body2html takes an HTML fragment containing the "body" of a page (the
  part that changes from one page to the next, like main.body) and combines
  it with the header, footer, and navbar to produce a full page.

The sample files in the sandbox directory are taken from the OpenAFS web
page from several months ago.  You can see what they look like at

http://sb.openafs.org/

If there's someone out there who wants to do some work to clean up the
tools, improve the web site design, and/or move the existing content to the
new tools, please contact me off-list.

-- Jeff