[OpenAFS] Re: OpenAFS web site design help?

David Bear David.Bear@asu.edu
Thu, 31 Aug 2006 11:40:30 -0700

On Thu, Aug 31, 2006 at 12:02:22PM -0400, Jeffrey Hutzelman wrote:

> On Thursday, August 31, 2006 11:30:35 AM +0200 Franco <senseiwa@mac.com>
> wrote:
>
> >In first place I don't want to spend too much time on such things,
> >that's why the search for a nice looking and easy to use interface is
> >important, focusing more on /what/ and not spending hours on how.  Plone
> >seems to me a easy way to cfm instead of using plain zope.  Rigth now we
> >have the site running on a linux distro (which one I  don't know) with
> >apache 1.3, quite old. Bringing up plone on apache 2  with a debian is
> >quite easy.
>
> Maybe, but it's completely unnecessary, and adds complexity we don't need.
> We _have_ a new web server, and we have a means to manage content that is
> entirely sufficient for our needs.  We are _not_ looking for new complex
> tools to solve problems we don't have.

complexity is a matter of point of view. Aside from that there really
needs to be more powerfull web features for storing, maintaining,
searching over the domain of knoweldge related to openafs. It may
actually help the gatekeepers of this list if the web interfaces were
more useable not only for those searching for answers but those
wanting to document openafs issues.

If you are completely against a content management system the game is
over. If you can see the benefit of a cms, then the game begins as you
identify the features needed.

>From what has been posted already on this subject, perhaps we can
identify what is 'needed' in a cms. Then, we can find the cms that
would work for the group.

I would like to see a more easily used system for searching and
documenting issues wrt openafs. The openafs.org web site is almost
useless. The wiki is almost useless (to me, granted I haven't explored
it much). The goal of the cms should be to allow more pariticipation
in the documentation process. I don't think you will find many
volunteers if they are forced in to using html editors and manually
linking information.